Friday, March 14, 2008

Collectibles and downsizing

We get SO many questions at The McKee Group about downsizing. People have many different reasons to downsize: one-floor living, smaller carbon footprint, travel, maintenance, health...I, myself, live in a 1,300 square foot home with my fiance.

You have amassed treasures that you are loathe to get rid of and we understand. So, what do you do about your collectibles?

How about swapping them in and out just like you might do with holiday decorations? I have one beautiful shelf in my downstairs powder room that is about 12 inches wide and 5 inches deep. It holds three collections! Sort of. I display one Hummel figurine, 2 Beatrix Potter figurines and 3 pieces from a nativity sceme made out of bread that friends brough back from a trip the the Dominican Republic. I rotate the pieces so that when visitors go into the powder room, it's always new.

The other thing I do is add interest to bookshelves with collectibles and photographs. I will take some pictures over the weekend and post them on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment