Thursday, March 6, 2008

Health At Any Age

A few years ago I committed to a healthier lifestyle and for the most part have been able to incorporate healthy activities into my everyday life.


Friends, a couple of trusted resources and an exercise regime that worked for me helped me do it. Sharing my goals with friends who had already gotten healthy was helpful and inspiring. They turned me on to healthy, low-cal foods, offered to take walks and were there at parties to make sure I didn't let the celebration get to me and eat too much! I even started a healthy eating lunch group that met once a week with our bagged lunches. Ultimately, I also joined a workplace Weight Watchers group, but I was happier in the more spontaneous lunch group where we discussed health minimally, and gossip majorly!


Two resources that helped greatly were Eat, Drink and Be Healthy by Walter Willett and a fun, informative website called Hungry Girl (I do not see why it couldn't be for men, too!).

Walter Willett is a Harvard professor who redid the Food Pyramid. His focus is on eating for health. He also came out with a more traditional weight-loss book a couple of years ago that I also like. Buy them on Amazon here and here.

Hungry Girl is a fun website with tips and tricks, polls and reviews. I highly recommend!

Healthy eating and exercise turned things around for me. I hated exercising before and I hate exercising now! BUT, I found a gym with individual TV's on each cardio machine and that reduces the pain.

Clubhouses found in many active adult communities are a perfect spot for a healthy lifestyle. They usually offer a fitness center AND places to gather for a healthy bagged lunch and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment