Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Houzz

Hello Again!

One of my most favorite new websites is Houzz. Houzz is "a collaborative platform for home remodeling and design, bringing homeowners and home professionals together
in a uniquely visual community." I use the site in so many ways that it really has become a help and an inspiration both professionally and personally.

Here are some examples of how I use the site.

1) Picking a paint color

My husband and I remodeled a bathroom and a laundry room this summer. He requested a yellow for the laundry room and I wanted a light blue for the bathroom.

So I start off by googling things like "best bathroom paint colors" and "best yellow paint colors." Oftentimes, Houzz will have the perfect article like, How To Pick the Right Yellow. Once I find a color or two that I really like I use the search function in Houzz (Pinterest is good for this as well) to search for room samples. For example, I chose Sea Salt for the bathroom and Houzz gave me an excellent idea of what it would look like (except that most of these bathrooms are HUGE and mine is not). It was incredibly useful and saved me from a lot of wasted time and money from indecision.

2) Furniture Choices

My four year old is ready for a "big girl" room. I searched for kids rooms, mint green (her color of choice) and white furniture and got some great direction on where to go for furniture shopping and paint colors.

3) Remodeling

Houzz was essential when I remodeled by bathrooms. I set up an Idea Book and then shared it with the tile company. When I went for my first meeting, my consultant knew my style and had already pulled some samples of what she thought I might like to see! It made a very stressful situation much much easier. Times two bathrooms by the hundreds of decisions that our homeowners make when they build a McKee home and you can understand why it sometimes takes several visits and lots of snack breaks when they meet with our design consultants. Houzz can help you get organized, find your style and settle some awkward interactions with significant others BEFORE you get too STRESSED.

I also will use Houzz sometimes just because I am bored and want to look at nice things! -Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment